Sunday, September 23, 2001
Hello from Mendeltna, Alaska!
Start time: 0945
Start odometer: 13826
Weather: Mostly cloudy this morning,
with quite a few breaks in the clouds, temperature 49 F.
- Started day with call to friend Carla in Ohio...Birthday greetings...Happy
- Dove by ANC, Anchorage International Airport, to see if museum was
open. It was closed, and I did not see a sign indicating the
operational hours. Took some pictures of the aircraft in their field.
- Drove around the airport, amazed at how many private aircraft seen.
Remembered being told that Anchorage has more float planes registered per
capita than anywhere in the world!
- Said my final good-byes to Anchorage, headed north out of town on Alaska
Route 1, the Glenn Highway.
- Stopped at the Eagle River Nature Center, located thirty minutes outside
of Anchorage, in the Chugach State Park. The original Iditarod Trail
went through Crow pass and the area around this Center. Took nice
trail to Eagle River, with views to a beaver dam and den.
- Continued a short drive north to the town of Eklutna, the location of the
St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. The land of the church and
graves is now part of a park in hopes of preservation. The graves are
interesting in that after a person has been dead for forty days, a
"Spirit House" is built over the grave and painted in the family
- Drove north through Palmer, than northeast towards Glennallen. The
autumn colors are close to their peak, so the scenery with the trees,
snow-capped mountains and glacier valleys was spectacular!
- Stop at a roadside turnoff along the Glenn Highway to view the
- Stopped for the night at the Kamping Resorts of America in
Mendeltna. I am in a basic cabin with propane heat and an electrical
light. The washrooms are in the main building, so tonight I sleep with
my flashlight and shoes by my bed! It is a nice spot, and very quiet
tonight. Jerry, one of the owners, said there had been a good Aurora Borealis
last night. I hoped to see something tonight, but it is cloudy.
I will set the alarm for two or three and see if it clears up. By the
way, this cabin has no phone, as expected, so I will upload the report as soon as possible.
- Had a nice dinner tonight. Met Jean and Neal, a couple from Missouri
given a gift of an Alaskan holiday by their children for their fortieth
wedding anniversary. Had a nice talk about computers, programs, and
the internet. It was a bit out of place in the beautiful rustic log
restaurant, but none the less, very interesting
- I should get to Valdez tomorrow, with a planned stop at Lake Louise in the
morning. I am going out with my flashlight and toothbrush now.
Thanks for visiting, and I will write again soon!
Click on picture for larger image,
hit back button to return to this page.
I stopped by here once during my
visit for some very tasty ice cream!
This is the
Eagle River Nature Center main building.
I took a nice trail through the
A beaver den in Eagle River!
A beaver dam was right next to
The views along the Glenn Highway
Another view of the glacier,
with me in the way.
The true story of
From the same parking area,
looking towards the southwest.
This view reminded me of some of
the mountains in the Richardson Range in the Northwest Territory.
Interesting rock slides could be seen
along the road.
This describes the sad story of a
trooper loosing his life at this point of the Glenn Highway.
Routes traveled today: AK 1 - Old Glenn Highway - AK 1
Hotel: Kamping Resorts of America -
created by: email@example.com
© 2001 Igor N. Nikishin
may be used with permission.